LANDLORDS UPDATE - ELECTRICAL TESTING IN RENTED PROPERTIES
New rules surrounding Electrical Inspection Condition Reports (EICR) have been enforced by Government during lockdown. It’s important that all landlords meet compliance following enforcement from the 1stJune 2020.
The Regulations form part of the Department’s wider work to improve safety in all residential premises and particularly in the private rented sector.
Under guidance the Department describes the changes as ‘A major step towards levelling up the private rented sector, making sure it will offer high-quality, safe and secure housing. Along with our social and owner-occupied sectors, this is housing this country deserves.’
What do you need to do to achieve compliance?
- Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met as set out in the 18th edition of the ‘Wiring Regulations’
· Ensure the electrical installations are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person every 5 years
· Obtain a report from the person carrying out the inspection and test with all findings included
and make sure that the existing tenant and any future tenant receives a copy within 28 days of the inspection and test
· Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within seven days of receiving a request for a copy
· Where the report shows that further work is necessary, complete this work within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report.
· Supply written confirmation of completion of the works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion
Smith and Sons are here to help with support and guidance on all matters relating to general upkeep and maintenance of your rental properties and are able to supply a list of approved suppliers. For further information please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector or contact email@example.com